The Ministry of Information and Communication Technologies, according to the Law 1341 or law of ICT, is the entity that is responsible for designing, adopt and promote the policies, plans, programs and projects in the sector of Information and Technologies of Communication. Within their functions is to increase and facilitate the access of all the habitants of the national territory.
Supplemental text of the history of the Ministry of Information Technology and Communications In the times of the Colony was created the postal service of De Indias - mail, privilege granted by the Spanish Crown, by royal decree of May 14th 1514 by Don Lorenzo Galindez de Carvajal. The colonial post offices were located in one of the two sides of the main plaza of Santa Fe, then moved to the Calle Real today Seventh Street.
The Royal House Post Office was built from 1553 in the southern corner of the Cathedral of Bogotá. The building of the Post Office was standing for a century and a half and then was demolished in the second half of the twentieth century to build the residence of the Archbishop of Bogota. The relocation of the post offices from the Plaza Mayor was made to the old convent of Our Lady of the Rosary property of the Dominicans.
In 1826 Congress elected President of the Republic the Liberator Simon Bolivar who took office on September 10, 1827 at the premises of the Cloister. On July 18, 1861 decree is issued in mortmain or expropriation of assets of the church and thus the convent is occupied by the troops of General Mosquera. After the earthquake of 1917 the postal and telegraph offices were moved to the Crow's passage on 7 street and Avenida Jimenez.
Later in the Republican era in 1847 being President General Tomas Cipriano de Mosquera the first steps were taken to implement the electric telegraph with the help of Britain. In 1851 President José Hilario López, contracted with the firm Ricardo de la Parra and company, the introduction of the electric telegraph, granting exclusiveness of exploitation for 40 years. However, this project could not be performed due to political conflicts occurred between 1852-1854.
Fourteen years later as President Manuel Murillo Toro, the first telegraph message was issued from Four Corners (municipality of Mosquera) and Bogotá. Now, by Decree 160 of April 16th 1876, the Government regulated for the first time the rules for the construction and conservation of telegraph lines by individuals, by grouping the lines in the country into eight sections. In turn, in 1880 the Government granted permission to the Central company and South American Cable, to lay a submarine cable between Panama and any Central American Republic that would link the country with the United States via Mexico.
Subsequently and after approximately 29 years the National Government resumed direct administration of telephones and national telegraphs, by creating the Intendancy of Telegraphs as an agency within the Ministry of Government. In 1913, the company Marconi wireless launched service provision of radiotelegraphy in the country with a network made up of 12 cities.
In 1919 the Government contracted with the same company the construction of the International Station in Bogota, which was opened after four years, on the 12th of April 1923. In 1927 the destruction of the Convent of Our Lady of the Rosary was ordered through Laws 85 and 198 of 1926 and with 195 the construction of the Palace of Communications was ordered and after much criticism it was inaugurated in 1944. Later in 1960 the statue of President Manuel Murillo Toro was moved from Independence Park to the entrance on 8th street. In 1953 and by Decree 259 of the 6 of February, the National Government decided that as of the 1st of February that year, the Ministry of Posts and Telegraphs hereafter be called the Ministry of Communications, restructuring it and establishing its operation based on the following departments: Postal, Telecommunications and Money wires.
By the year 1976, by decree 129 of January 26th the Ministry of Communications, is the subject of a new restructuring to address the needs resulting from the changes produced by the technologies applied to the telecommunications and shape the respective sector the executive branch of public power. Technological changes not only forced the Ministry to be more flexible with its regulations but also to adapt its physical facilities in accordance with the architectural requirements of the last decade. Since 2008, a total renovation of the building went underway including seismic structural reinforcement, recovery of elements such as the barrel vault that illuminates the first floor.
Also since July 30, 2009, when former President Alvaro Uribe Veléz sanctioned Law 1341 the former Ministry of Communications became the Ministry of Information Technology and Communications. The new law created a regulatory framework for the development of the sector and to promote: access to and use of ICT through massification, the impulse to free competition, the efficient use of the infrastructure and in particular to strengthen the protection of user rights. Murillo Toro Building, meanwhile, anticipates the construction of the Postal and communications museum that had been proposed in 1924 by engineer Karl Ziegler, a senior employee of the postal service in Germany was contracted to analyze the flawed postal organization and its current regulations.
By initiative of former Minister Maria Del Rosario Guerra reactivated the idea of the postal museum which will compile heritage collections of stamps issued by Colombia and the UPU, philatelic items such as mailboxes, mail carrier suits, scales, and porters, among others. Likewise, elements will be displayed film, radio and television in temporary exhibitions, a way to accommodate the future through history.