The functions of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technologies, in addition to which determines the Political Constitution and the law, in accordance with the provisions of article 18 of Law 1341 of 2009, are:
1. Identify, formulate, adopt and promote the policies, plans, programs and projects in the sector of Information Technologies and Communications, to facilitate the access and use of all the habitants of the national territory to information and communication technologies and coordinate its implementation.
2. Support the State in the access and use of information and communications technologies to facilitate and optimize the management of government agencies and administrative recruitment transparent, efficient and provide better services to citizens.
3. Support the State in the formulation of the general guidelines for the dissemination of information generated by the ministries, administrative departments and public establishments and carry out the recommendations as it deems suitable for making it in an agile way and in a timely manner.
4. Design and develop massive strategies that explain to the citizens, the utilities and potential of information and communications technologies.
5. Promote the establishment of a culture of Information and Communication Technologies in the country, through programs and projects that benefit the appropriation and massification of technologies, with instruments that facilitate the well-being and personal and social development.
6. Coordinate with the actors involved, the forward of the vertical and cross Information and communications technologies and the corresponding national plan, providing support and advice at the territorial level.
7. Manage, in coordination with the Presidential Agency of International Cooperation of Colombia, APC - COLOMBIA, international cooperation in support of the development of the sector of Information Technologies and Communications in Colombia.
8. Assign, manage, and control the radio spectrum in accordance with the law, in order to foster competition, the pluralism of information and non-discriminatory access and prevent monopolistic practices, without prejudice to the functions on television services are assigned to other entities.
9. Administer the regime of fees and other administrative proceedings involving the payment of fees, through the development of the liquidation operations, collection and raised, in accordance with current legislation.
10. Exercise the international representation of Colombia in the field of information and communication technologies, especially to the international organizations of the Sector, in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and under the direction of the President of the Republic.
11. Run the treaties and conventions, on Information and Communication Technologies, ratified by the country, particularly in the topics related to the radio spectrum and postal services.
12. Govern in correspondence with the law the monitoring and control functions in the field of Information Technology and Communications.
13. Monitor the full exercise of the rights of information and communication, which should contribute to the social, economic, cultural and political development of the country and in different social groups that make up the Colombian nation1 without prejudice to the powers that determine the law and the exceptions laid down therein.
14. Evaluate the penetration, use and behavior of Information and Communication Technologies in the national socio-economic environment, as well as its incidence in the plans and programs that implements or support.
15. Promote, in coordination with the competent entities, the regulation of the virtual work paid, as an alternative means of employment for the companies and the opportunity for income generation of citizens, of all social strata.
16. Offering a modern infrastructure of connectivity and communications, support for the production centers of thought, as well as accompaniments of experts, in the use of Information and Communication Technologies, capable of directing and guiding its implementation in a strategic way.
17. Raise and maintain an up-to-date record of all the initiatives on Information Technologies and Communications at the national level, which may be consulted virtually.
18. Formulate and implement policies of disclosure and continued promotion of services and programs in the Information Technology Sector and the Communications, promoting the use and benefit of social communications and access to knowledge, for all the inhabitants of the national territory.
19. Exercise the State intervention in the sector of Information Technologies and Communications, within the limits and for the purposes provided for by law, with the exception of what is determined.
20. Establish general conditions of operation and commercial exploitation
21. Issued in accordance with the law, regulations, conditions and requirements for the granting of licenses, permits and registrations for the use or exploitation of the rights on the radio spectrum and services in the Information Technology Sector and the Communications.
22. Issue and manage the payments made under the law.
23. Set policies for management, maintenance and development of the Internet domain name under the country code for Colombia - co -.
24. Regulate the participation, social control, functions and funding for the activities of the members of social control of the network providers of communications service covered by the act.
25. And more that are assigned by the law.